Tuesday 21 June 2016

Shoot like Cartier Bresson

Shoot Like Cartier Bresson


For this weeks task we were asked to shoot like a particular photographer (Cartier Bresson). Cartier Bresson is an artist who captures pictures of strangers on the streets and develops them in black and white.  He is considered to be a master of candid photography and his work has been admired by many for it's humanist approach to street photography.  His images all capture a specific moment in time and almost tell a story due to their high level of detail and raw emotion. I enjoyed exploring his work and learned a significant amount regarding composition and the use of black and white which I can hopefully incorporate in some of my images.


Artists Photographs
The above image which Cartier took, shows an elderly man with a tea cup and his camera.  It could be interpreted as his two passions, and what he enjoys. The detail in this image is what drew me to it initially.  By using Black and white, we are able to see the grain in the leather of the man's jacket and even the veins in his hand. This artists photographs are constantly taken in black and white, which I really think helps gives more detail to his photographs and brings them to life.  The positioning of the camera is interesting as it is almost directly central to the shot and is pin sharp, whilst the man's eyes are looking up giving the impression he is deep in thought.


This image which has been produced by the artist, although taken a lot earlier again tells a story.  We are left wondering about the conversation that is taking place and the expressions which have been captured by the people allow us to ask questions about the shot.  The clothing that is worn by the people in the photograph again brings texture to the piece, however, this time the detail is not quite so pronounced and it is the patterns of the clothing which provide the contrasts.


And finally one of the artists most famous photos, taken in 1932, shows a different style to Bresson's work. This image strays from his regular techniques of capturing static street images and this time incorporates some motion within the piece.  As the man running is slightly blurred, we get the impression that he is in a rush and again we are left wondering what he is running from or why is he in such a hurry?  I like the use of reflection in this photograph and this early example of water reflection ties in with my theme of man and nature.  I think that overall sharp detail is not really necessary in this image as the silhouettes that are formed still allow the viewer to form a story in their minds and a dramatic image of life at the time is still portrayed.


My Own Photographs 
This image was taken on the streets of Reykjavik in Iceland.  I have tried to replicate the artists well known style of photographing unknown people in a street setting. I loved how Bresson was able to capture different personalities and cultures, through the eye of the camera lens and I think that this shot comes close to Bresson's story telling technique which he adopts in his black and white images. I, like Bresson, have also made sure that my images are monochrome as this enables the details to be enhanced.  The texture of the cobbles and the pavement are clear in this photo which I was pleased with and I think that this image does leave the viewer asking questions regarding what the man will choose for his meal.

My second image is of a tourist, who is photographing the well designed graffiti art which had been sprayed upon a local building. Again this image was taken in Reykjavik and was shot on a busy street in the city centre.  With this image I tried to capture a different perspective within my piece.   As the man is also taking a photograph, i feel it makes the viewer consider what it is he is photographing, allowing the focal point of the image to become very clear.  I positioned him off centre in order that his view through his own lens could be seen more clearly.  The contrasting lines of the graffiti work very well in black and white and the trees work well to frame the shot and I began to understand how monochrome images could composed.

My final artist image was again taken in Reykjavik, and shows a local man sitting outside a coffee shop having a drink.  With this image I liked how the overall mood was so calm and although it was taken in the city centre, the man is able to relax and watch the bustle of city life from his chair on the pavement.  This time, I experimented with the angle of the shot and I hoped that this would create more interest.  This time I experimented with keeping a large portion of the street in the frame.  The lines on the road, I thought, were interesting and I think that they enhance the image and give it more texture.


Contact Sheets

No comments:

Post a Comment