Tuesday 21 June 2016

Aperture And Shutter Speed

Aperture And Shutter Speed

This task was to experiment and play around with the settings on our cameras in order to see what type of images we could compose and create. I really enjoyed this task as it not only allowed me to become more familiar with my camera, it made me understand how my photos could be enhanced by a small alteration in setting and a completely different effect could then be accomplished.  


Artists Photography - Shutter Speed
This image uses a relatively slow shutter speed, you can tell this by the lights featured on the cars are blurred and also the cars are not shown in the image at all. I found this produced a really dramatic effect giving a river of light snaking through the whole photograph.  The street lighting creates lovely starburst of light to further enhance this and overall the image is highly eyecatching and dramatic. I like how this image almost looks abstract, however, we are reminded that the subject is real by the incorporation of the green foliage in the foreground.  

This image above has been taken again by slowing down the shutter speed and I loved the way that altering the length of time the shutter rei9ned open allowed a completely different vision of the water be portrayed.  I loved the soft feel of the photograph and could really get a feel for the motion of the waterfall.  This photograph also appealed due to the enhancement of colour which has been used.  The vivid green colours used really help to concentrate the viewers eyes to the flowing water.

The above final image was taken looking out over water at a firework display in the USA.  I found this image very striking and loved the way that the city skyline had also been captured together with the enormous firework which bursts above the water.  The photographer has framed this shot perfectly.  The firework casts a pink hue over the water which I found particularly pleasing and the light of the city buildings give more interest to the image.  I think that a huge amount of skill has been used in this photograph to enable to firework to be so clear and sharp, but also allowing the buildings on the horizon to be a big part of the overall effect.  



My Own Photographs
Experimental Images
I created this image using a very fast shutter speed, this was needed in order to catch the falling drops and suspend them in mid air.  I also used a relatively low aperture so that the subject of the image would be primarily based on the spoon and falling droplets rather than any distractions being provided by background.  Overall I was pleased with this first experiment with shutter speed, I liked the reflection created by the spoon and the glass and felt that this enhanced the shot. I decided that using a dark liquid would also draw the viewers eyes to the droplets rather than using water and I think that this worked successfully.

After my initial experiment with fast shutter speeds, I decided to then experiment by slowing the shutter speed downThe above image, taken of Teasel, my dog, shows the effect when the shutter has been left open for longer than normal. Unfortunately, she was not the most photogenic subject as she kept moving which is why the subject is blurry.  I began to understand that any movement which has taken place whilst the shutter has been open will result in a blurred, often overexposed shot.  I think the above image shows that too much light was let into the camera and a faster shutter on this type of subject would produce a much better image.


Final Images 

Based on my experimentation shots above, and my knowledge gained regarding shutter speed and light, I decided to try and photograph a firework display as the contrast between the fireworks and the dark sky should produce a pleasing image.  I began by setting my camera on a tripod as I knew that any movement would hinder my progress.  I then set my shutter speed to 5 seconds. I thought that if the shutter was left open too long, I would end up with trails of light similar to the car headlights which I did not want in this instance.  I did, however, need enough light to enter the camera to enable the full glory of the fireworks to be displayed.  I set my ISO to 100 for this shot and did not use a flash and was very pleased with the resulting images taken so continued to use the same setting for all my photos.  The main issue I found was actually managing to frame the firework in the centre of the shot, or take the photo when it was fully bursting. The photo above, I thought, was the most dramatic and well composed shot which I had taken and I preferred the burst pattern in this image compared to my other attempts.



The above final image was taken at a waterfall in Iceland which was sheltered in a steep gorge.  Again using my research knowledge I decided to balance the camera on a rock for stability and remotely trigger the shutter.  This technique allowed me to get substantially closer to the subject and I think helped a lot with capturing the wet rocks surronding the waterfall. Being lower to the ground, the scale of the waterfall is able to be disguised.  Actually, this was only a very small waterfall, however, by positioning the camera low to the ground, it gives the effect that the falls are large.  As there was no camera wobble, I was able to leave the shutter open for this shot for quite a long time - approx 20 seconds and I think this enabled me to get a lovely soft flow of water which I was particularly pleased with.  I also liked the fact that the black rock showed the flow of water off perfectly and nothing distracted you from the image's subject.
Contact sheets



Artist Photography - Aperture
This Image was taken by an artist called Emily Moore, The aperture is once again F/1.8,  with this photograph being taken with a low aperture it creates a blurred background of the other sunflowers, but then it allows just one to be in focus.

This image also has a lows aperture which has been shown by the very blurred back ground which surrounds the leaf. with this image i love how the subject of the image is a singular leaf, this has been done on purpose to draw the eye to the main subject. 




My own Photographs
This image has been taken during a moderately low aperture, this is shown by the background being out of focus, but you can still see the things featured in the background. I also liked how Teasel was not looking directly at the camera, which makes the audience wonder what had caught her eye. 


This image has been captured using an even lower aperture, I set it to F/1.8 to make sure the background was almost completely blurred, and like a block colour.
I decided to photograph this image like this because i loved how the image is so dramatic, because of her piercing eyes once again looking at a something other than the camera.



Contact Sheets

No comments:

Post a Comment